Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mongolia Update 6/26/12

Ulaanbadrakh

Another day of English classes for the children. They learn so quickly; I wish I had that gift for language. It makes me want to work harder though. We played basketball with them again tonight. Something I forgot to mention yesterday was no matter where we played (soccer field, basketball court), teams were picked and then it got pretty quiet as everyone spread out to pick up the glass from broken vodka bottles, evidence of a broken and empty society. After basketball tonight, Naraa and I grabbed our jackets and walked to the ridge north of the village, probably about 3 miles roundtrip. It's something I've wanted to do for about a week. (I think my team thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go on a walk for fun haha). The view was beautiful and I got some great pictures. On the way back, we saw a little lizard. He stopped under a thistle and I was able to get a close-up of him and pet his tail. I would've picked him up but I wasn't sure if he would bite or not. There was a good breeze blowing and clouds were shining and shifting overhead. It all made me think what a grand adventure God has us on in this life. And He has brought some wonderful people into my adventure to share it with me, though some only stay for a season.
Standing on the ridge, looking south toward the village

Facing east

Facing north

Facing west, note the Buddhist prayer pole outlined by the sun

The heavens declare the glory of God


Naraa

Me

Mr. Lizard!



An abandoned building in Ulaanbadrakh


Tonight, we went over to the family from the bath house to pray with them about their car. We had a special time laughing and talking with them and I feel blessed to know them. The mom was playing basketball with us earlier and it warmed my heart to see a mother laughing and playing with the local children.

This picture captures the spirit of who Kherlan is

Kherlan, Me, Naraa. The women are all quite entertained by the size of my skirt

No comments:

Post a Comment