Friday, July 13, 2012

Mongolia Update #2 6/11/12

5:30a.m. Beijing Airport

Somehow, with crossing the International Date Line, we lost a day. I'm sure this will prove confusing but maybe not. It proved incredibly easy to make my transfer [here in China], go through security, etc. which is a huge blessing in view of the horror of LA. We arrived nearly a full hour earlier than planned so after I got through the security checkpoint, I took the time to wash up and do my teeth. Not a big deal to some but it was to me. The stalls in the bathroom had big red and gray fish painted on them. Two said "mind the step" and when I peaked in, I saw why. The toilet was set down into the floor! No thank you. I have been up for many hours, how many exactly I don't know but I think it's close to 48hrs minus three catnaps of approximately 6-7 hours total on the plane. It's very peaceful in the airport right now and I'm enjoying the quiet.

Cloud shadows on the desert floor; flight from China to Mongolia

View from the shuttle apartment in UB

The kitchen in our apartment....I loved it


Later same day Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (also referred to as UB)

Well, I arrived fine but my bags are missing...both of them. Hopefully they will come tomorrow. I learned that this is not an uncommon occurrence. I was met by Tsegii and a driver and we went to lunch. The food is delicious the salted milk tea is going to take some getting used to. Then we went to the office where I turned in my valuables and met some of the staff. Dulmaa took me to my apartment for a rest. I asked her what the main occupation is for Mongolians and she said herding but mining is growing. Many are educated as lawyers, doctors, teachers, etc but not necessarily working in their major. Supper tonight was cheeseburgers and mud cake at the Mitchums. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment