Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mongolia Update 6/18/12

Ulaanbadrakh, Dornogovi

The day started off slow but we had company for much of it which was sometimes a bit hard for me since I don't speak the language. Three Christians from the center of the province came out and shared their vision for this village with us. They want to come about once a month and have a small group started by the end of the summer. What a challenge but also how encouraging!
This afternoon, the local vet picked Tsegii and I up and took us to a herder. The team had been teasing me all day about killing a sheep and now it definitely looked like they were serious. We got a sheep and brought it back but thankfully the vet's son slaughtered it. [My plan had been to cut its throat but I later learned that Mongolians slaughter sheep by knocking them in the head and then cutting the aorta. It's clean and the animal feels little to no pain.] We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening processing the sheep. They were cooking the head and organs for supper and I silently asked God for grace to eat and drink whatever was placed in front of me. It is incredibly rude to reject anything that is offered and I didn't want to insult my host and my team but I also knew there was no way I would be eating organ meat on my own. He provided that grace in that I did not have to eat any part of the head and while it smelled atrocious to me, I was able to eat whatever I was given. I thanked the Lord every time Tsogoo carefully cut me a piece with little to no fat. Mongolians are quite fond of fat and consider pieces with large amounts of it to be the best cuts. However, Tsegii and Tsogoo have dealt with foreigners enough to know that Americans don't feel the same way!
Tsogoo is some better today but has had a bad headache all day on the right side. We've done what we can but not much helps. However, considering that I could see the pulse in his neck from across the room last night I'm glad that his pulse is normal today. That scared me but we're so far away from any hope of decent medical that I didn't say anything. Praying that he is better tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment